View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Similarities and differences between various concepts 

Post Similarities and differences between various concepts
Similarities and differences between the concepts of discourse, paradigm, methodological view and ultimate presumption.

I’m just now writing on a methodological PM for my exam and have some problems. First, what’s the meaning of “discourse”? And how is this related to the concept of “paradigm”? Second, when I read Arbnor and Bjerke I became aware of the importance of ultimate presumptions as guiding research principles. But how are these related to the concepts of discourse and paradigm? Third, are the three various views in Arbnor&Bjerke examples of different paradigms and/or discourses? For the fourth, is the principle of complementarity in the book an example of how to combine different views, paradims, discourses and ultimate presumptions? Can someone help me to untangle my four questions?

8-) Wellington 8-)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Post Re: Similarities and differences between various concepts
According to the authors’ Glossary, discourse ought to be described as “a praxis in communication, governed by (often implicit) rules. In social science applications it involves concepts, methods and skills with specific purposes. This means, in general, that the chosen discourse delivers a way of thinking and a style of communicating.” I think you can say that discourse is a kind of a practical side of a paradigm. Ultimate presumptions are the theoretical essence of a paradigm. To my knowledge, the three different views/apporoaches are therefore also good examples of different paradigms as well as discourses. For the fourth, I think it’s important, not to see their principle of complementarity as a principle of pure combination. The authors themselves talk about reconciliation instead and the views as transformative operators.

MsAnn

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]