View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
How to create understanding of entrepreneurship? 

Post How to create understanding of entrepreneurship?
I’m a little bit confused about many studies of entrepreneurship. Many researchers approach this phenomenon with methods that are absolutely not in line with the phenomenon itself. Are there any possibility to create an understanding of entrepreneurship if we try to do that in a way that do not match how entrepreneurs are thinking and acting.

Please help me with some further thoughts on this subject?

Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:34 am

Post Re: How to create understanding of entrepreneurship?
I think all kinds of research, if good, should try to look at the world on its own conditions. However, thre data from doing so can be treated differently, for instance, be looked upon as facts (objective or subjective) or as part of a meaning structure, which can never be separated from the actors. In the first case you describe the reality (even if on the premises of the entrepreneurs) but the results of your study are "separated" (it is presented in a scientific format) from the entrepreneurs. In the second case, you constitute (at least partly) new reality together with "your" entrepreneurs also in the presentation of the results somehow.

This is how I look at it.

Metodologicus

Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:24 am

Many thanks to Metodologicus. But I’m still a little bit confused, but on a higher level. Say that somebody approach the phenomenon with a perspective of rationality (theory laden with the opinion of man as economic/rational) but the entrepreneurial process is (perhaps) at the same time an example on the contrary. According to “Metodologicus” are we not able to bring any understanding out of this to present in a scientific reliable format! Am I right? In the book of Ingeman Arbnor and Bjørn Bjerke, page 198 one can read the following: ”.. language development must, according to the actors view, be based on a relation that focuses on meaning and which relates the actors’ first hand expressions with the scientific concepts in order for a developing tension to arise in the interface between the different worlds. If a creator of knowledge is building his/her language development only on other relations, for instance, previous theories and established clichés in his/her own field, this is, according to the actors view, to be compared with trying to describe summer using the language of winter.”

Please, continue this discussion about entrepreneurship and research methodology!

Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:24 pm

I think there is an excellent description of this “entrepreneurial problem” in Arbnor&Bjerke, Chapter 2 “Some ‘unconditional’ reflections over the area of entrepreneurship”! :idea:

Cheers!

Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:28 pm

You say "the entrepreneurial process is". That makes meconfused. The way I look at research, when researching, the view of the entrepreneurship process is created by the knowledge creator. Nothing isin itself. Also, if you approach research looking for explanations, you come up with one result, if you do it looking for understanding, you come up with another result, incompatible with the first. If you think you can combine explaining and understanding in one and the same research effort, you simply have a dfferent view of the meaning of "explanations" and "understanding" than I have. I have the same opinion as I read in Arbnor/Bjerkes book.
Yours sincerely
Methodologicus

Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:09 am

“Metodologicus” claims that you can’t combine explaining and understanding in one and the same research effort and I agree to some extent. But if you read about the Arbnor/Bjerke Principle of Complementarity, you can discover a certain possibility called “the idea of reconciliation” in the use of some of the three approaches as transformative operator, see page 340. See also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24

MsAnn

Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:32 pm
Site Admin

You will find more information on this subject if you read question number 4 in our FAQ.

FAQ

Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:22 pm

I think Levina’s point concerning entrepreneurship is well taken. There are to many research efforts taken on this subject from a rationalistic point of view as the best guide to approach the phenomena of entrepreneurship. I think such efforts disorient us in our ambition to understand how entrepreneurs are thinking and acting. As researchers we have to approach this subject creatively and artistically in the same manner as the entrepreneurs they create and act. In contrast to “Metodologicus” I think there is something “in itself” concerning entrepreneurship, which we can name “the soul” of business creativity. Intellectus suggestion regarding the case in Chapter two of Arbnor&Bjerke is good.

Best wishes, Benedikt

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:21 am

I agree with Intellectus, there is an excellent description of this “entrepreneurial problem” in Arbnor/Bjerke, Chapter 2!

Baseli

Thu May 14, 2009 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]